Wednesday, November 21, 2007

November's target - Oliver Kamm

When I'm not being hounded for activities compatible with my undiplomatic status, I enjoy tipping embassy champagne over smug neocon heads. This month's target is the bloated Oliver Kamm. Here is a record of our recent exchange:

Hi Oliver

Just catching up on some of your thought-provoking posts and noticed a item on Che Guevara.

Here is something for you to consider:

Guevara was indeed ruthless. But Guevara died for his beliefs.

Why are there no brave neo-cons on the battlefields of Iraq? (and please skip the nonsense about you NOT being a neo-con - it's the foreign policy that matters). I am, of course, referring to you, Aaronovitch, Finkelstein, Geras, etc. Didn't you tell us that this was a war to defend civilisation, no less? Shouldn't you lead by example?

Hasta la victoria siempre, amigo.

CW



To which Ollie replied:


Thanks for your kind comment.

I do not consider it an accurate description of Che's end to say that he died for his beliefs, while your "white feather" argument on foreign policy is less original than I think you assume.



To which I replied:


Sorry but I don't follow. If Che didn't die for his beliefs, then what did he die for? To appear on t-shirts at university gigs?

Re "white feathers", make no assumptions about my assumptions. While the question is certainly not original, neither is the refusal to answer.

Hasta pronto, amigo.

CW



That, apparently, was too much for poor Ollie. I never heard from him again.